Quail egg morning muffins (gluten free)
Flavour explosion in your mouth
- 1 small bell pepper, washed, cleaned, and diced
- 1 ear of corn, shucked and kernels cut off
- 1 small zucchini, washed and shredded with the largest hole on the grater
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup corn flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- black pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into 4 equal slices
- 12 quail eggs
- 1 tablespoon chives, minced
- Grease muffin tin with one of the slices of butter and preheat the oven to 350F. Combine vegetables, eggs, olive oil, and buttermilk in a large bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix dry ingredients together. Then add dry ingredients to the veggie-buttermilk mixture and stir just enough to combine. Do not over mix it or the muffins will be tough! Pour the batter into muffin tins, filling each cup with about 1/4 cup of the batter. Place in the oven and bake for 20-22 minutes.
- While muffins are baking, cut up each of the remaining 3 slices of butter into 4 equal squares (you will have 12 of them) and place them in freezer until the timer for the muffins rings.
- Take the muffins out of the oven and make sure that that the top of each muffin has formed but is still soft in the middle. Press in the soft middle just slightly to create a spot for the egg, place one cube of butter into the little nest on each muffin, and crack a quail egg on top. Sprinkle with chives and a crackling of pepper and a sprinkle of salt, to your own taste. Place the muffin tin back into oven and cook for another 10-15 minutes until the muffins are done.
- Let the muffins cool for about 5-7 minutes, then remove them from tin and set them on a cooking rack until they’re completely cool. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.